Let’s check our shower pan vs tile comparison. If it’s the flooring that you shower on, you are given the choice of either a shower pan (shower base) or tiles. Each has its advantages and disadvantages, with the choice of which one to choose based heavily on the preferences of your own.
Shower pans are more affordable to purchase and set up as compared to shower tiles. Additionally, shower pans do not require sealing and regrouting as do shower tiles. They’re also more secure with less slippage. However, they’re difficult to fix and you’ll not readily find shower pans that are suitable for unusually-shaped showers.
If you’re looking to invest further in the long run and increase the value of your house opt for shower tiles. If only you’re looking for fixing the leaky pan for your shower, opt for shower pans as they are more affordable and less trouble to maintain.
“Ready-to-tile” shower pan “ready-to-tile” shower pan comes as a closed-cell model (made of light Styrofoam) that is with waterproofing already done and ready to tile.
Its extremely light implies that it is simple to transport to its intended destination, yet robust enough to withstand any forces that it will be subject to.
Shower pans that are ready-to-tile are considerably less expensive than solid surface counterparts but the added cost of grout and tiles must be taken into consideration. The tiles can be made of any material and you have a lot of options in terms of making your shower floor fit the style you prefer.
What Is a Shower Pan Good For?
The shower pan will collect water that is draining. It’s this way that it won’t get into your subfloor or any other area within your home. This prevents mold and mildew from growing in your bathroom. This can cause harm in the event that it is not treated over time.
There are a variety of features in shower pans you might think about.
- Water Resistance: The resistance to a water feature helps keep the water from getting from the pan and into the subfloor. The pan also stops leaks from leaking into other areas of your home’s structure, for instance, the garage or basement. Many materials make shower pans that resist water. These include fiberglass shower pans and acrylic shower pans.
- Cost-Effectiveness: Shower pans can be cost-effective. They will last for many years without the need for costly replacements or repairs, even after years of usage. All you need to do is keep them clean and clean them after each use.
- Maintenance: Shower pans requires only minimal care. One of the most crucial things to take care of is keeping it spotless. Do not leave soap scum or other trash inside the pot for too long prior to cleaning it using detergent and water. Also, make sure you look for any leaks within your shower pan once every once in a while.
- Anti-Skidding: A further important aspect to take into consideration when searching for shower pans is the degree of anti-skidding. This means that it won’t be slippery in wet conditions. Additionally, the surface will be comfortable for walking on and more secure to use.
- Durability: A premium shower pan will last for up to 10 years without problems. It’s essential to choose the best quality product. In this way, you don’t have to need to replace it frequently. The strength of a shower tray is determined in terms of its size. A pan that is thicker will be stronger than a smaller one. It will also stand up to pressure better.
A shower tiled floor is thought to be the best sought-after and expensive option for homes in regards to the resale value. Due to the huge variety of various types of tiles and the possibility for tiles to be customized to suit showers of any size tiles are the most flexible options.
To create the floor tiled for showers, many aspects must be designed.
What Are Bathroom Tile Floors Good For?
The tile shower floor is an ideal alternative for those who are looking for a fresh floor for the bathroom. They can also be utilized in commercial bathrooms and establishments like hospitals.
A variety of characteristics of tile floors are:
- Resistant to Water: Waterproofing is an issue when you install tiles within your bathrooms. There are many kinds of bathroom tiles that are waterproof. These include vitreous, porcelain ceramic, and other tiles.
- Cost-Effectiveness: The floors of bathrooms are affordable when compared with other flooring alternatives. However, the installation of bathroom tiles is more costly than other flooring options. It requires extensive work and equipment.
- Maintenance: The most significant problem with tiles for bathrooms is that they require more attention than other floors. If you clean the toilet and bathtub there is a chance to splash water on the floor of your bathroom. This can cause damage to the grout that is between the tiles. Regular cleaning of grout is vital to maintain its appearance. If not, mildew and mold may form in the cracks between tiles.
- Anti-Skidding: Be sure that the tiles you choose are non-skid features. It will stop falls and slips inside your bathroom. Many bathroom tiles come with a special coating that enhances traction. They also stop people from sliding on them as they enter the tub or shower.
- Durability: Tiles last longer than other kinds of flooring for bathrooms. They’re constructed from hard materials like ceramic or porcelain. They can withstand water more effectively than soft ones like vinyl or wood.
Guide to Install
In the beginning, the screed needs to be made which levels the floor while creating the right fall that allows for drainage. A waterproof membrane is required to be installed that can prevent any issues with water later on at a later stage. The tile floor is then affixed to the surface after the grout has been installed.
Since tiled floors are attached directly to the surface they can be extremely difficult to take off and any remodeling or repairs could require cutting out all of the tile shower floors.
The grout lines between the tiles are susceptible to accumulating dirt and stains, and it can be very difficult to wash.
If the tile shower floors aren’t correctly installed or waterproofed they will eventually require major repairs because of water leaks.
Shower tiles are generally much higher in cost than single-piece shower pans. This is not just due to the more materials that are required as well as the additional work involved. A shower tiled could take up to a week to set up as compared to a pan shower that is installed, and this delay results in significantly higher costs for labor on the whole project.
Fiberglass Shower Pan
Shower pans made of fiberglass are the least expensive choice for single-piece shower pans and choices are often less than 200 dollars. This material can be stained quickly and mineral deposits could accumulate over time.
Since abrasive substances are required to get rid of any mineral deposits, washing them can cause scratches to fiberglass.
Benefits of a solid surface and waterproof tile pans on fiberglass bases
They don’t turn yellow like fiberglass.
- You have the option of choosing the location of your drain. There is no cost of transporting the plumbing around.
- You can make your own custom shower pan shape to match an angled design, or a custom NEO angle shape, or an offset pan.
- They’re not able to bend and sound squeaky when you walk across them – even if you’re not made to look like Victoria Beckham, Gigi Hadid, or a hyper-anorexic supermodel.
- You can live your life “in colors.” You are able to create your own tile pattern or select from 51 diverse solid color options.
- The bases can be kept clean. It is nearly impossible to remove dirt from the fiberglass bottom pan.
Although both shower pans are awash in fiberglass, the problem I’ve seen is that homeowners (and contractors) trying to figure out what to pick between solid surfaces and tile-ready. In this post, I’m going to put the two shower pans against one to see who is the best in the battle. Then, I’d love to know your opinion on which one you think is the most suitable.
The shower pan UFC (Ultimate Fighting Championship) will not get bloody and gross-out. It’ll save you money. You’ll never make a shower base decision that you’ll regret in a bathroom that you are using every day.
Cleansing gloves made of rubber take off and let the battle to clean the shower bases will begin.
Differences Between Shower Pans and Tile Floors
You now know the difference between shower floor tiles for bathrooms and pans. You are also aware of the different kinds of each. We’ll look at some distinct distinctions between shower pans and tiles for bathrooms.
Ease of Installation
Shower pans are a lot easier to install than tiles floors. All you have to do is clean your bathroom flooring, place the shower pan between the shower walls, then make sure to seal it. You will not only save money by putting in your shower pan on your own, however, but you’ll also take less time in the process.
On the other hand, bathroom tiles require lots of tools when they are installed. It can also be time-consuming to complete.
Tile floors are more sturdy than shower pans. It provides an extra layer of protection from water damage or leaks. Shower pans are also designed to hold water however shower pans and tiles are made of different materials and have different qualities and durability.
Shower pans that are durable are made from acrylic and cast iron. The longevity of tiles is dependent on the degree of waterproofing.
The most significant distinction between tile flooring and shower pans is in the price of purchasing, installation, and maintenance. The tile floors tend to be more costly in comparison to shower pans. They require more effort and also more materials. If you’re looking to save money, a shower pan could be the right choice for you.
Tile floors for bathrooms are more eco-green than shower pans. They’re made of decomposable substances such as natural stone extracts. Shower pans cannot decompose. They’re made from synthetic materials such as fiberglass as well as PVC.
Ease of Customization
Tiles are simple to modify since there are a variety of varieties. From large format tiles to mosaic tiles There are a variety of options accessible based on your preference and budget. You can go large or small when it comes to the tile you choose to install. Tiles can also be found in a variety of styles and colors.
However, the majority of shower pans are constructed from concrete or some other type of polymer composite shower pans. Therefore, they’re less flexible than tiles, and modifying them can be a challenge.
Shower pans, as well as tiles, are waterproof if installed properly, however, bathrooms have more space in which water can get through, and eventually reach the subfloor. Water may get in these spaces when grout gets out.
Tile is a strong solid material that can withstand the rigors of high-pressure water. Due to this, tiles are a popular option for bathrooms. One disadvantage to tiles is that you have to install them on a very thick and heavy subfloor. Therefore, they’re not suitable for bathrooms with weak shower floors.
Shower pans are constructed of light materials. They’ll work well on subfloors that are weak.
Look also – The Best Pebble Shower Floor Pros And Cons Review 2022
Which Shower Floor Is Better?
We’ve examined the two kinds of flooring for showers, discussed the many aspects of their pros and cons, and contrasted them side-by-side. It is now time to add another element to the mix.
The best option for every house will be determined by the needs of every family. Can this shower function as the master bathroom shower, or as an additional shower in the basement to allow the children to use when they get back after a day of outdoor play?
Are both options meet your budget How is the decor in your bathroom? What kind of style, color, or styles work, and which ones don’t? The answer to these issues, once the final bell rings will speak volumes about who is the winner of this contest.
Shower Pan vs Tile FAQs
Is it better to tile a shower floor or use a shower pan?
Many people find that the main benefit is that the prefabricated shower pan is much simpler to install. The tiled shower floor needs a lot of steps to be installed correctly. If the installation is not done correctly you could result in massive water damage or other issues.
Is a shower pan cheaper than tile?
Shower pans or bases come in a range of materials. As a rule of thumb, they are more inexpensive than tiles floors. The acrylic shower pan is the most affordable product.
How long does the shower pan last?
Shower pans are typically constructed of tough materials, like ceramic, porcelain fiberglass, plastic, or. They typically have a long life span typically lasting about 10 years. Sometimes, they can last up to 45 years.